- By Daniela Jacques
- Feb 5, 2018
The Fruit Swap
Today we are setting the first mini-challenge of #FruityFeb, which is part of our 2018 Wellbeing Challenge. The Fruit Swap mini-challenge is to swap a snack for a piece of fruit. Fruit makes a satisfying sweet treat and when you eat fruit in place of higher-calorie foods, it can help you maintain a healthy diet and lose weight.
Along with nutrients fruit is high in natural sugars and can raise blood sugar levels. It is therefore worth keeping an eye on how much sugar the fruit you choose contains. Looking up the sugar content and other details of your favourite fruit is easy to do. There are lots of apps available and I have included links to some good ones I found below:
Some fruits lower in sugar:
- Raspberries – low in sugar but high in fibre. They are also high in cancer-preventing antioxidants.
- Strawberries – moderately low in sugar and provide antioxidants too.
- Blackberries – low in sugar and a great source of fibre
- Kiwis – have more vitamin C than an orange and give you a dose of vitamin E.
- Peaches – a good source of vitamin C and fibre
So get swapping your unhealthy snacks for fruit in #fruityfeb.